At last, winter is finally over and spring is officially here. Let the lighter nights and warmer weather help you to shake off those winter blues. With weeding, pruning and planting to be done, spring presents one of the most exciting, but equally busy times for the gardener. It’s also the ideal time for implementing larger transformation gardening projects, such as laying a new patio or building a decking area.
A decking area is a fabulous solution for bringing the comforts of indoor living outdoors, but before you dust-off your tools and get to work, take a look at our top-tips for effective decking preparation. There’s probably more to think about than you initially thought:
1. It’s all in the planning – When deciding where to position your decking, be sure to consider where you will get the best sun exposure and shelter and whether the location is easy to access.
2. Size matters – Be clear about the purpose of your decking. Whether it be an outdoor dining space, a comfortable seating for the whole family to enjoy or a cosy nook for two, be sure to properly measure the space required so that it comfortably accommodates your requirements.
3. Ground prep. – Ensure that you remove all weeds and turf from the area where your decking will be situated and then apply a substantial membrane to prevent any weeds or grass from growing between your decking boards.
4. Quality is king – Use quality materials such as stainless steel screws and galvanised nuts and bolts so that your decking looks great year after year.
5. Be a good neighbour – It’s very rare to require planning permission for a decking area, but if your deck is going to overlook your neighbours, it’s worth checking with your local planning office and having a polite discussion with your neighbours first.
6. Defend against the elements – Timber decking benefits from a weather resistant finish that will help to protect it against the elements. Make this a part of your yearly Spring cleaning routine.
7. Safety first – Outdoor surfaces can become slippery particularly in winter. Apply a high-quality anti-slip product to prevent against slips and falls.
TFC Supplies stock a broad range of competitively priced decking materials, from individual boards to complete kits.